Saturday, February 19, 2011

"I've been waiting my whole life to do something like this!" says the 7 year old


I am lucky, lucky, lucky! I forget this and it's nice to have a bite size little man to put things into perspective. The past week has been chock full of experiences with him that just plain make me smile.

I am fortunate enough to be invited to Marty's class to run an art lesson. It's kind of a mix between crafts and art history 101 (at a second grade level of course). I sometimes have a hard time getting prepared for the visit as my schedule is jam packed (I do not exaggerate there are days where every hour is booked and I find myself stressing how I am supposed to get from each destination and be on time, it really doesn't help that when it comes to being on time I'm a little bit of a control freak) but somehow I make it in and am able to spend a couple of hours with by far the most interesting class Marty has had yet. Just having the luxury of this experience is a blessing! I'm fortunate to have a flexible work schedule and to get to visit my son in his class, I think in parenting the most important piece is being involved and since my child's life really revolves around what happens in that school being present means so much! You don't always get to hear that your kids are grateful for your being involved though and I thanked God because on this particular visit Marty made it clear that he thinks I'm cool and is glad I'm there; we were making city skyline collages and Marty said "I've been waiting my whole life to do something like this!" His whole life. I don't care that it's been only a short seven year wait; I feel like a super hero: I make dreams come true! Isn't that basically the biggest reward of parenting?
Among other things Marty and I had the week off and I've been trying to be creative in how we can keep occupied and get much needed tasks taken care of.
We traveled on Monday to Sacramento to bounce off energy (yes just before the storm hit). Marty practically bounced off the walls at Sky High an indoor trampoline fun house; I bounced too but I think my achy shoulders are still paying the price, it seems like the whiplash of over 30 minutes of jumping isn't as pain free as it once was.

Tuesday I somehow was able to get Marty to participate in a cleaning extravaganza (much needed). It always surprises me when he throws himself to the floor and cries about things, when do they grow out of that?
Wednesday and Thursday Marty spent time with his dad. They enjoyed this new snow, Marty was especially excited about snowboarding in powder. I of course being sans child grew bored out of my mind and spent some of Wednesday working, and all of Thursday wishing my friends and loved ones had time off too. Vacation time can be very lonely when you have no one to share it with.
Ah Friday is bitter sweet! I spent the day with my sweet nephew whom I always seem to get at nap time. Though before he slumbered we took a quick trip to the store for lunch. Bobby makes adult expressions to everyone who passes as I heard several comment "did you see the look he gave me?" And I did catch some of the looks they are very mature (but super cute from a tiny thing)! And he and I were happy until he could go no more and needed sleep. Tears, screams, whimpers, and then slumber. Phew!!!



Marty spent time with his uncle though just to make the arrangements was enough to make me crazy. To Marty Mammaw not answering the phone means "she's playing this game again." Which I think is appropriate as I think he learned that phrase form her.
But it's Friday and I'm glad to be going back to the routine but I feel like this off time flew by. I felt like I hadn't made the best of it. And then God gave me my moment! Marty and I cuddled up on the couch for our date night (he hates that I call it date night because he doesn't want to be on dates with his mom, but I still use the phrase to make him appreciate that this quality time is special for him, and maybe someday when he's on a real date he will recognize the importance of respecting your date, he has the potential to be an extraordinary man, but I digress...) so we're on the couch watching Veggie Tales and a Bible story starts to play out. He asks if the characters in the Bible were really just like the cartoon (I explained no, there has never been a feud between towns where shoes and pots were thrown). I took out my Bible and read the real verse in Luke to him. He got out another of my Bibles and tried to read from it. Beautiful. Then we started a conversation about how people say God answers. My amazing son told me he talks to God everyday, he said "that's basically the point of me talking to myself, so I can talk to God." It seems so simple through his eyes. But he was confused because he had never heard God respond, I explained to him that it can be like when he asks me for something from me I don't say anything I just give it to him, and when he's just talking and I listen to his stories I don't always respond but he knows I'm listening. Before I had finished Marty was telling me he already knows that. He wasn't disappointed because he'd always felt like God was walking right next to him. And those were his words to describe it. So like I said I'm so very lucky; tonight my son renewed my faith. I honestly have been waiting my whole life to hear something like that!!


2 comments:

  1. That was a great post and I can totally relate, minus the mom stuff but I know how much those amazing Marty moments mean to you... I could hear his li'l voice in my head explaining that is why he talks to himself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lucky? How about me? As his honorary uncle, its such a joy to have him jump on me with a big hug when he's glad to see me, or go swimming in the deep end under the waterfall or play his made up games where somehow he always wins. Or go to the secret bridge, or... I could go on... what a kid! So everyone should come up to Huntington and go horseback riding this summer...

    ReplyDelete